Followers

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

The reality of self

You make yourself stupid with false imaginings, and so you do not see, what you would see, if you discarded them.  -- Dante Paradiso

This quote means something special to me. It's a quote about throwing aside your preconceived notions and looking at the reality around you. It's about not letting all of those beliefs you have about individuals blind you to their humanity.

I think it's something that we've lost sight of as a society. So many problems could be fixed if we all would just take these words to heart. The righteously arrogant hatemongers who would have us believe that the country and the world are broken and evil would fade if we would all just look around us and see that most people in this world are just trying to get by without hurting other people.

You can stop reading here. The rest is a personal revelation.

Now Beatrice in this passage is telling Dante to quit painting her as some angelic being when all she was was a human being just like hum. If he would truly love her he has to cast aside his purple prose and notions of what she was and deal with her as a person. Only then will he be a worthy man.

I mentioned this to a friend this weekend because I used it in a thesis and I think I mentioned it because I had forgotten what it's true meaning is and I need to remember it,

I have let my anger, frustration, and  feelings of inadequacy turn into a kind of self loathing. I need to see that people are good and they can be kind and I need to see that for every time I have been unworthy I have made up for it by being worthy. I know that's a run on sentence.

Several people have expressed concern over my attitude lately and they have every right to. I am sullen and self defeating. But I think I see something better ahead.

Is it something new or special? No. It's just remembering that I have to put aside my notions of who I am to build a better me.  I'm starting to see that everything will be ok if I just let it be ok. That's what I learned on my yaycation. 

No comments: